Wednesday, July 17, 2013

day #22...what i am doing on my summer vacation

i'm thinking uncharacteristically unhygienic thoughts today, really wondering what the point of showering is on dc's hottest day of the year. i wonder if weathermen from other regions get as psyched about the weather as those from here. the summer started out rather mild, but no matter how it starts, we always come to this 95+ oppressive combo of heat and humidity by mid july. this year, i'm thankful for a functioning ac and nhood pool membership.

well well well, my kids continue to surprise me.  in shocking contrast to yesterday's arguments over the beetle's fate, now they're singing a duet over the piano.

i like to torture myself the weeks before my kids' july bday parties by browsing pinterest daily to see all the things i'm not going to do for them. i am nothing if not well informed.

i hate going to the grocery store w/my kids.  and i hate that i feel so strongly about this.  makes me feel like a bad mom through and through.   today, i took the kids to wegmans.  i had noble plans to make it a fun outing for them which lasted the length of the parking lot. you see, i loathe the carts with the little-tikes-plastic-car attached. and you'd think that as my kids got older, that their appeal would fade. but no, they wedged themselves into the car, thus adding almost 100 lbs to the weight i had to push around. the only reason i even succumb to these beasts (the cart, not my kids) is containment. i will muster up all the will in my measly biceps to maneuver the cart if that means my kids will stay inside. but instead, they sprung from the car willy-nilly, their memories esp sharp, remembering the bakery's display of delectable goodies, and that the deli guy would give them a free slice of cheese (my kids dislike cheese in any other context).  they had several near-collisions with other customers, and i was fast approaching my dark place (opposite of happy place). i imagined the angels shouting in heaven, "intervention! intervention! mommy in aisle 3 needs intervention!" and suddenly, i bumped into one of my fav moms in nova, and my frustration dissipated.

this entry about wegmans has gone on too long. but the point is, i hate grocery shopping w/my kids. i hate that it takes at least 250% longer to shop w/them than without.

one good thing: wegmans' peach muffins are available. i will drive to sterling, fairfax, even leesburg, to acquire their peach muffins.

conversely, i almost got into an argument w/the freezer stockboy who "couldn't recall" that they ever carried wegmans'-brand dino nuggets. seeing that this is one of the primary reasons i hauled out to fairfax when it was 95-degrees out, i didn't even want to begin explaining to him why, no, tysons-brand was not a suitable substitute.

this entry will help explain why, when hubby asks at dinner, "so, how was your day?" i oft have little to offer but a blank stare.

No comments:

Post a Comment